Sunday, September 30, 2007

"Wild" Creatures

Since our bird feeder was destroyed by a bear, and since I didn't want to attract any more attention from said bear, I had stopped putting seed out overnight. But since we still had a lot of seed left, I had been putting it out on the deck railing during the day, attracting lots of birds and a silly red squirrel who runs up on the deck, takes one seed, runs off to bury it, and then comes back for another, so he doesn't make much of a dent in the seed supply.

But yesterday, I forgot and put out a lot of seed late in the day. It was gone the next morning and at least part of the reason was raccoons. I know that because this evening three very bold raccoons appeared on the deck expecting a handout. I shooed them away 4 times and at that point it was quite dark so they may have come back yet again. The last time I spoke to them through the screen door (I didn't dare open it or they would have come right in the house) one was pushing on the door with his nose, so I poked his nose and told him to stop being so cute and to go away. I tried to get a picture but it was getting dark and I couldn't get a good shot through the screen or use the flash through the glass door. So this photo is very fuzzy but I just had to post it anyway.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if he's related to my groundhog? They have the same stance. I haven't managed to poke my groundhog on the nose yet.