Saturday, September 29, 2007

Kayaking the Floodwood-Rollins Loop

Today I went on an ADK paddle that was postponed from Thursday due to rain. Al and Jini, were the leaders and the only other participants. W is away for the week.

We put in on Floodwood Pond, went down the stream past Little Square Pond, into Copperas Pond, portaged into Whey Pond, portaged again into Rollins Pond, paddled the length of Rollins, and then had to get out and pull the boats through the stream back into Floodwood due to low water.

I tried using our wheels on the portage from Copperas into Whey and they were a complete failure. At the first root I hit, the wheels just slid back and off the end of the boat. My single kayak does not have a section with parallel sides like our double on which to attach the wheels. I let a salesman talk me out of the type of wheels I need, which just slip over the end of the boat and attach into the cockpit area to prevent the wheels from sliding off. I'll definitely get some of those before coming back next year.

No comments: