Saturday, February 4, 2017

Indexing for the NYGBS

I have finally found a volunteer opportunity that suits me.  Several weeks ago the New York Genealogical and Biographical Society asked for volunteers to index part of their collection.  That is something I could do at home.  They also had folks in NYC scanning documents.  The initial push is done but some of us are continuing to index.  They send me a set of files and I access their cool indexing system and input the data.  Given how much I rely on online resources for my genealogical work, it is great to be able to contribute in that way.  Last week I went to the local Family History Center to look at some microfilms I had requested.  I had forgotten what a painful process that is.  I'm happy to do anything I can to make data more accessible.

No comments: