Monday, March 31, 2008

Quilt Fabric Shopping

I had a nice trip to Lancaster, PA on Friday and Saturday. The initial impetus was a quilt show called the Quilters' Heritage Celebration, which definitely was not worth the trip - but more on that later. While researching that show, I kept finding web references to the Spring Quilt Blossom Festival, which seemed to be at the same time and roughly at the same place. I eventually called a vendor and discovered that there was some dispute a few years back between the folks who ran the annual QHC and many vendors who wanted to participate. So the vendors have their own festival across the street from the QHC every year. And then I discovered that the real reason a quilter goes to the Lancaster area is to shop for fabric in all the quilt stores. I associate quilting with the Amish and Mennonites, but never questioned where they get their fabric. Not only are there literally dozens of fabric stores in the area, the prices are much lower than around here.

So by the time I left home, my focus had changed. I first drove to the quilt stores in Intercourse and Bird-in-Hand, PA (and there are many more that I didn't get to) then went to see what the vendors at the Spring Quilt Blossom Festival had to offer. There were lots of vendors and I got some more fabric there. I ended at the QHC and was very disappointed. Not only did they charge an admission, several of the quilts on display were some I'd seen in NJ at a Mancuso show. And many of the quilts in these shows are art quilts that I can't hope to emulate. So I have begun to view shows as mostly a collection of vendors and there weren't many at the QHC.

Conclusion: The area of Amish farms northeast of Lancaster, PA is very picturesque and the quilt stores are definitely worth a return visit. I would probably return when there is not a quilt show in the area so they would be less crowded. A trip in the summer or fall when produce from the farms is available would be great - except I don't tend to be in the area then.

No comments: