Friday, June 9, 2017

Paddling to Weller Pond

Another beautiful day and a paddle to Weller Pond with our friends.  The bugs didn't bother us too much on yesterday's wildflower walk.  We weren't sure what to expect on the paddle.  None bothered me as I paddled down South Creek.

But swarms of black flies caught me as I got out onto the lake, which was strange.

Once we got out to the middle of the lake, they finally dispersed.  No wind is great for paddling, but not so good for keeping the bugs away.  We were sure they would be bad when we stopped for lunch on Tock Island.  Be we had no problem at all, even with no wind.

The clouds started building while we were at lunch and got thicker as we paddled back to the car.  The black flies were so bad out on the lake that I resorted to a headnet, which I rarely wear.  I had lots of insecticide on so they weren't biting, but I couldn't stand their bouncing off my face.

Once I was home I discovered bites on my legs and back that had been covered.  I had forgotten how well the flies make their way under clothing.

Despite the insects, it was a beautiful paddle.  But I won't be looking to do more than one a week until after bug season.

No comments: