Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Quilt Class

As if I don't have enough to do, including many quilting projects in the works, I could not resist signing up for a quilting class at the Village Quilter in Mount Holly. It uses the New York Beauty pattern that I have never tried but have wanted to. And this one,a pattern by Karen Stone appropriately called Cinco De Mayo, is outstanding. I had my first class today and we spent most of the time selecting fabric for just one block. The instructor was very helpful. I only have one problem. To really make the quilt zing, you should use all different fabrics. Let's see, 36 blocks with at least 10 fabrics per block - that's a lot of fat quarters. The assumption is that you have a large stash to select from. In my case, I'll have a large stash once I'm done with the quilt. So far I've only purchased batiks (you can never have too many batiks), but with the instructor's help I realize I need to branch out.

We head back to NY tomorrow, so I don't have time to shop now. And we're not in NJ very much in October, so it is a good thing we only meet once a month. It is going to take quite a while to accummulate all that fabric. I can't wait.

No comments: