Thursday, July 16, 2009

Kayaking Piseco Lake

Twelve of us got to mark off Piseco Lake on the Paddle Pursuit today. The weather was actually good for a change, though thunderstorms had been predicted. We put in off Route 10 directly into Big Bay, marked by a red O on the map. I had hoped to be able to go down the outlet for a bit, but there is a spillway under the road and the outlet is very rocky from there. We paddled the length of the bay and then got to a very interesting spot, marked by a red X on the map. I guess there are times when the water is high enough to get around this bend without trouble. But I don't know when that would be. We all got hung up on the rocks and I wouldn't go that way again. We went out onto the lake and across Irondequoit Bay to the Point Comfort campground where we had lunch on the picnic tables, then we returned to the cars. The lake is big and not terribly interesting, so I doubt I would go there again. But it is always nice to paddle in new places.

No comments: