Saturday, May 24, 2008

Cape May and Stone Harbor

We'll be leaving soon for camp and I wanted to do something particularly New Jerseyish before leaving for the summer. So despite the gas prices I drove south to Cape May for some "gingerbread"
and to Higbee Beach and Stone Harbor point to look for birds. It wasn't a particularly exciting trip. Cape May has lost much of its appeal now that we live at the shore. And the wind was so strong there were few shorebirds in evidence. Plus I got Higbee Beach and Reeds Beach confused. It was apparently at Reeds that we went to look for red knots a previous year. Higbee Beach is just south of the Cape May-Lewes ferry terminal and there wasn't much there. I did see a couple osprey carrying fish.

At Stone Harbor point all I saw were oyster catchers like this one. My new camera did an excellent job of capturing them. I was glad I had the viewfinder since the LCD screen was impossible to see in the bright sunlight. I realize I should have tried taking off my polarized sun glasses. That might have helped.

No comments: