Friday, October 5, 2007

Hike near Tupper Lake

Today's temperatures approached 80 degrees, so I chose a woodsy, shaded trail for my hike today. I parked along Route 30 between the two parking areas on the southern end of Tupper Lake (the lake, that is, not the town) where I had seen what I thought was the trailhead. I was right. It is not marked but obviously used to be a road. I had hoped to get over to the beach we found when we were kayaking in the area, but it would have taken some steep bushwacking since the trail remains up on the ridge. It ends at what must have been a house site and is now a campsite overlooking the lake. The trail would make good x-country skiing or snowshoeing, though there would have be enough snow to sift through the overhanging trees. And if there where that much snow, there might not be a place to park the car. But it might be worth checking out this winter.

No comments: